UT Arlington Veterans Upward Bound is a free program for qualified veterans, designed to motivate and assist veterans in the development of academic and other requisite skills necessary for acceptance and success in a program of post-secondary education. The program provides assessment and enhancement of basic skills through counseling, mentoring, tutoring and academic instruction in the core subject areas of mathematics through pre-calculus, laboratory science, foreign language, composition and literature. The primary goal of the program is to increase the rate at which participants enroll in and complete post-secondary education programs.
In our Learning Center, participants receive individualized tutoring from an instructor who has identified each participant's own strengths and needs. Participants advance at their own pace, are able to refresh any forgotten skills, and will be motivated toward academic success in higher education. Our veterans education counselors provide answers to questions regarding college enrollment processes and serve as a liaison between participants and representatives in the academic unit they wish to attend.
Resources and services available include:
- Basic skills development to help veterans successfully complete a high school equivalency program and gain admission to college education programs.
- Short-term remedial or refresher classes for high school graduates that have put off pursuing a college education.
- Assistance with applications to the college or university of choice.
- Assistance with applying for financial aid.
- Academic advice and assistance.
- Career Counseling.
- Personalized Counseling.
- Assistance in getting veterans services from other available resources.
- Exposure to cultural events, academic programs, and other educational activities.
For additional information on these and other resources and services, please visit: Veterans Upward Bound.