University Catalog

Tuition & Fees


Tuition and fees are subject to change by legislative or regental action and become effective on the date enacted. The Texas Legislature does not set the specific amount for any particular student fee. The student fees are authorized by state statute; however, the specific fee amounts and the determination to increase fees are made by the university administration and The University of Texas System Board of Regents.  (General Appropriations Act 2010-2011, Article IX, §6.16).  Visit for current tuition, fees, and charges.

To comply with Senate Bill 1304, passed by the 81st Texas Legislature the University of Texas at Arlington is required to report to each student the amount of tuition paid by the student that must be set aside to provide financial assistance to qualified students. UT Arlington will notify students by email of the set aside amount.

Undergraduate students who enrolled under the fall 1999 or subsequent catalogs may be required to pay non-Texas resident tuition rates when they exceed 45 hours more than is required for completion of the degree program for which the student is enrolled.  

The "99 hour rule" refers to the implementation of Senate Bill 961, passed by the 75th Legislature. It is the rule that students admitted during the fall semester of 1999 and thereafter who complete more than 99-hours of doctoral level study may be required to pay out-of-state tuition for every subsequent semester. UT Arlington does not automatically change tuition rates when a doctoral student passes the 99-hour mark. The policy of the University is as follows: Doctoral students who enrolled under the Summer 1999 or subsequent catalogs may be charged non-resident tuition under the following conditions: A doctoral student may pay non-Texas resident tuition beginning the first long semester in which a) the student has been enrolled previously as a graduate student for 14 or more long semesters, AND b) the student has accumulated more than 99 semester credit hours of doctoral study at UT Arlington. Students exceeding both limits will not be eligible for assistantships supported by state funds. Individual exceptions for students exceeding these criteria who are nearing degree completion are considered.

Resident undergraduate students who enroll in a course that is substantively identical to a course for which he/she has previously completed may be required to pay a higher tuition rate, not to exceed the rate charged to non-resident undergraduate students.

Failure to pay tuition, fees, and charges by the term/session payment due date does not constitute voluntary withdrawal from the term/session.

Description of Tuition, Fees, and Charges

Tuition, fees, and charges are assessed to students based on session credit hours (SCH), a set charge per term and/or session, or for specific services. They are required of all students, charged to everyone taking specific courses or anyone receiving specific services, or charged only for voluntary products or services.

A Guaranteed Tuition Plan is offered to undergraduate students, including undergraduate students that transfer to UT Arlington per Section 54.017 of the Texas Education Code.  The Guaranteed Tuition Plan offers a fixed tuition price plan under which the institution agrees not to increase tuition charges per semester credit hour for a participating student for at least the first 12 consecutive semesters that occur after the date of the student's initial enrollment at any public or private institution of higher education, regardless of whether the student enrolls at any institution in those semesters, and subject to any restrictions or qualifications adopted by the governing board.  For additional information on the Guaranteed Tuition Plan, please refer to our website at Guaranteed Tuition Plan.

For more information and specific rates please refer to our website at

Exemptions and Waivers

State law provides for several exemptions or waivers of tuition, fees, and charges. Students qualified for a reduced rate in any of the following categories must have that eligibility certified prior to the due date of the session/term. For a complete description and eligibility requirements, please go to This web site will also provide department contact information and a list of tuition, fees, and charges that are exempt or waived. Additional information may be found in the Texas Education Code.

Tuition Rebate for Baccalaureate Graduates

Texas residents enrolling for the first time in a Texas public institution of higher education may be eligible for a tuition rebate up to $1,000 when the baccalaureate degree is completed (Texas Education Code, Section 54.0065). The student must have attempted all course work at a Texas public college or university and have been entitled to pay resident tuition at all times while pursuing the degree. The requested rebate must be for course work related to a first baccalaureate degree received from a Texas public university. No more than three hours may be attempted in excess of the minimum number of semester hours required for the degree under the catalog which the student is graduating. (Hours attempted include transfer credits, credit earned exclusively by examination, courses dropped after the official census date, for-credit developmental courses, optional internship and cooperative education courses, and those repeated exclusively by examination.)

An application form and any other requirements pertaining to the tuition rebate may be obtained from the Graduation section of the Office of the Registrar. Interested students should apply for the rebate when filing for graduation prior to registration for the final semester. To be eligible, a student must apply for the rebate before degrees are awarded for that semester.

This rebate is not part of the UT Arlington Guaranteed Tuition Plan, but you may qualify for it, in addition to qualifying for the Guaranteed Tuition Plan, and earn rebates from both programs if you meet eligibility requirements.

Payment of Tuition, Fees, and Charges

Please go to for information on due dates, deadlines, refunds and penalties. Students will be given notice of the amount of his/her tuition charges that were required to be set aside to provide financial assistance for students enrolled at the institution (Texas Education Code, Section 56.014).

Refunds of Registration Charges (Withdrawals and Drops)

Please go to for information about a specific term/session.

Payment Options

Please go to for deadlines and payment options for a specific session.  

  • Per Texas Education Code 54.007, "A student who fails to make full payment of tuition and fees, including any incidental fees, by the due date may be prohibited from registering for classes until full payment is made. A student who fails to make payment prior to the end of the semester may be denied credit for the work done that semester."
  • Payment Plans: Additional Payment Plan options are available online via TouchNet or at the Office of Student Accounts, Room 130, University Administration Building.  Please visit our Web site, Tuition Payment Plans,  for options, specified dates, and requirements. Payment Plans are not available to Accelerated Online students.
  • Financial Aid: Please read the Financial Aid section of this catalog or visit for information.

Questions may be directed to the Office of Student Accounts, 817-272-2172 or by email at Detailed student account information may not be released to anyone other than the student without the student’s written permission in the Office of Student Accounts.

Payment Methods and Locations

The University accepts cash, checks, traveler’s checks, money orders, wires, and the following credit cards: MasterCard, Visa, Discover, Diner’s Club, and American Express. Any form of payment that is returned unpaid can result in enrollment withdrawal and additional penalties.

  • Online: Pay by credit card at Make a Payment.
  • In Person: Payments can be made in person at Student Accounts, Room 130, University Administration Building.
  • Mail: Please include your 10-digit student ID number and do not mail cash or traveler’s checks. Check or money order payments can be mailed to:

    UT Arlington Office of Student Accounts

    P.O. Box 19649

    Arlington, TX 76019-0649

  • Traveler’s Check: Traveler’s checks must be signed in the presence of a cashier and should be presented in person at the Student Accounts window during their regular business hours.
  • International Wires: 

UT Arlington has partnered with Flywire (formerly peerTransfer) to streamline the international payment process. Flywire allows you to pay securely from any country and any bank, typically in your home currency. By making your payment with Flywire, you can:

  • Track your payment from start to finish
  • Save on bank fees and exchange rates
  • Contact their multilingual customer support team with any questions, day or night.

To get started, please visit  For additional questions about making your international payment with Flywire, please visit

Please note, Bank to Bank wires are not accepted.

  • Kiosks: Payments can be made at kiosks across campus using credit cards, debit cards, and checking or savings accounts.

Concurrent Enrollment

Cooperative Programs Between University of Texas System Components 

A student concurrently enrolling at two or more University of Texas System components and participating in a joint cooperative program may register and pay tuition, fees, and charges for all courses through the student’s home institution. The concurrent enrollment agreement and waiver of specified fees and charges applies only to students following the concurrent enrollment procedures specified by the registrar of the home institution. Detailed procedures may be obtained from the registrar of the student’s home institution. UT Arlington students will find additional information by going to and selecting Concurrent Enrollment from the Special Programs page.  Applicable tuition, fees and charges will be assessed and collected at the home institution for the other institution(s). The charges for the following will be assessed and collected at the home institution for the other institution(s):

  • Tuition and Mandatory Fees at an appropriate rate
  • Applicable laboratory fees and special course charges
  • Enhanced Designated Tuition
  • Any other fees and charges that are required at the host institution that are not charged at the home institution

Student services at the second institution will be made available to concurrently enrolled students paying the appropriate student service fees at the second institution. Some institutions have a reciprocal agreement for honoring parking permits. Details may be obtained from the police departments on each campus. Concurrently enrolled students should report any problems concerning registration, payment of tuition, fees, and charges or other matters related to concurrent enrollment procedures to the registrar of the home institution.

Concurrent students wishing to add or drop courses must do so in compliance with the host institution’s policy. On or before the host institution’s Census Date, adds or drops may be done through the home institution’s registrar. After the Census Date, drops must be done at the host institution.

Sponsored Students/ Texas Tomorrow Fund Participants

It is the student’s responsibility to contact the Office of Student Accounts, Room 130, University Administration Building, 817-272-2172, each session prior to the payment deadline date to confirm that an authorization has been received and is sufficient to secure the current session registration.

Average Cost and Financial Aid Opportunities

Annually, the Office of Financial Aid, Scholarships, and Veteran’s Affairs estimates the average expenses for a full-time student for two semesters at UT Arlington, which includes the estimated cost of books, transportation, living expenses plus tuition and fees.  Current information may be found at  Navigate to the Average Cost option under the Financial Aid menu for detailed information. (Texas Education Code, Section 61.0777).

Academic Common Market 

The Academic Common Market is an interstate agreement for sharing academic programs through an exchange of students across state lines. Fifteen southern states take part in the Academic Common Market. Texas, Florida and North Carolina participate at the graduate level only. Selected out-of-state programs that are not offered in a student’s home state can be accessed through the Academic Common Market at in-state tuition rates.

For information on the graduate programs at The University of Texas at Arlington that are available through the Academic Common Market and the states that have access to those programs, contact the Office of Financial Aid or the Academic Common Market coordinator in the home state.

Further information on the Academic Common Market may be obtained from the Texas State Coordinator for the Academic Common Market: Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, P.O. Box 12788, Austin, Texas, 78711. Phone: 512-427-6525. E-mail:

State Law - Excessive Hours

Texas Education Code §54.014 specifies that resident undergraduate students who initially enrolled as an undergraduate student in an institution of higher education fall semester 1999 and later may be subject to a higher tuition rate for attempting excessive hours at any Texas public institution of higher education while classified as a resident student for tuition purposes.

  • Undergraduate students who enrolled initially in the fall 1999 semester or subsequent semesters cannot exceed more than 45 hours of the number of hours required for completion of the degree plan in which they are enrolled. Any hours beyond 45 are considered excessive and may result in additional tuition charges.
  • Undergraduate students who enrolled initially in the fall 2006 semester or subsequent semesters cannot exceed more than 30 hours of the number of hours required for completion of the degree plan in which they are enrolled. Any hours beyond 30 are considered excessive and may result in additional tuition charges.

The purpose of these policies is to encourage students to complete their degree programs in an efficient, timely manner.

For additional information regarding the UT Arlington’s administration of the Texas excessive hours policy, please visit

3-Peat Courses

As outlined in Texas Education Code §54.014 of the Texas Education Code, an institution may charge a resident undergraduate student a higher rate when enrolling in a course that the student has previously completed. An undergraduate student who registers for a course three or more times may be charged up to the non-resident tuition rate.

Important Tax Information

As an eligible education institution, UT Arlington is required to file a 1098-T Tuition Statement to report enrollment and other identifying information for each U.S. resident student who was billed for any qualified tuition and related expenses during the tax year, as defined by the IRS. Universities are not required to file a 1098-T for students who are Nonresident aliens for U.S. income tax purposes. As a result, Nonresident Alien Students may not receive a 1098-T.

1098-T Tuition Statement

Students meeting the following criteria will be eligible to receive a 1098-T Tuition Statement:

  1. Incurred charges for qualified tuition and related expenses AND

  2. Have a valid SSN or TIN (Taxpayer Identification Number) in MyMav AND

  3. Have a valid Mailing, Home, or Campus address in MyMav (Please log on to your MyMav Student Service Center and verify your SSN/TIN and address information.)

In addition, UT Arlington will file the 1098-T forms with the IRS.

UT Arlington cannot determine if you qualify for a tax credit. The financial data provided is to assist you in computing amounts that may be eligible for certain tax benefits. Students and parents should obtain IRS publication 970 Tax Benefits for Higher Education or contact their personal tax advisor for assistance. The IRS website for obtaining forms and publications is, or you can call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040.

Due to a change to institutional reporting requirements under federal law, beginning with the tax year 2018, we report in Box 1, the amount you paid during the year for qualified tuition and related expenses.

When and Where the 1098-T Forms Will Be Available

Your 1098-T Tuition Statement will be available online in MyMav Self Service and may also be postmarked to your designated mailing address by January 31st. If a valid mailing address is not designated in MyMav, it will be mailed to your valid home or campus address. Please take a moment to verify that your addresses are accurate and make any necessary changes in your MyMav Self Service Student Center.  It is also extremely important that the University has your name as it appears on your social security card.

Other Fees


International students are required to purchase The University of Texas at Arlington Student Health Insurance Plan while enrolled at the University. In order to be approved for a waiver, your alternate health coverage must meet or exceed the requirements as set in the System regulation and be PPACA compliant. Waivers must be submitted and approved each semester to have the insurance charge removed from student accounts.

  • Criteria to submit a waiver request, must meet one of the following:
    • Sponsored Plan (US Government, Foreign Government, Embassy)
      • Must guarantee payment of all health care expenses in writing
      • Must be ACA compliant
    • UT Employee Group Health Plan
    • US Employer Plan
    • US Individual Plan
  • If you meet one of the above criteria, then your alternate health insurance coverage must meet the following minimum requirements:
    • Unlimited maximum on benefits
    • No Pre-existing condition limitation
    • $500 or less deductible per condition
    • Must be Patient Protections and the Affordable Care Act (PPACA) compliant.
    • Must meet mandatory coverage period for your academic period as outlined on the website.


The Mav Express Card is used for accessing controlled facilities, checking books from the Library, gaining admission to various University activities such as athletic events and for other situations where personal identification is required.

A student may choose to deposit money on the Mav Express Card. This debit feature is called Mav Money. Students may use Mav Money at Dining Services, Office of Student Accounts, University Center, University Bookstore, and many other locations on and off campus. Deposits may be made and account activity reviewed online. 

The Mav Express Card is a permanent card. As a student registers for a semester, the card is automatically validated. It is not necessary to obtain an additional Mav Express Card unless the student loses or destroys the card. Fees associated with the Mav Express Card (ID Card Replacement Fee) can be found at Description of Tuition and Fees:

For additional information, visit or call 817-272-2645.


All students who drive a vehicle on campus need a permit to enter or park legally on campus (Texas Education Code, Section 51.207). Please order your permit online through the registration screen from your student service center on the web. All permits are ordered by selecting obtain a permit link on the Parking and Transportation Services webpage  Once the permit is ordered and the appropriate vehicle information entered, the permit becomes valid.  Student and resident permits expire August 31 of the current academic year. 

Per Texas Transportation Code, Section 681.008Vehicles displaying a disabled veteran license plate are allowed to park in any person with disability parking space without displaying a University of Texas at Arlington parking permit. This exemption does not apply to parking in non-ADA designated spaces

Beginning November 1 of the academic year, permit refunds will be prorated by the month, and no refunds will be made after the close of business on the Spring Census date as indicated in the current University Academic Calendar.  All outstanding parking fines with Parking and Transportation Services must be paid in full prior to refund issuance.  Proper identification must be provided in order to receive a refund.

Students are responsible for picking up a copy or visiting the web site for the Rules and Regulations booklet that contains campus parking policies. For additional parking information, pricing information, or hours of extended service during registration, call 817-272-3907 or visit the web site


A graduation charge must be paid by each baccalaureate degree candidate when application is made for graduation. If graduation is delayed past the stated semester, the student must reapply for graduation and repay the graduation charge. An additional charge to cover the cost of cap and gown is assessed to each candidate who plans to attend any graduation ceremony. 


Cost of books depends upon the courses selected. Generally, books for technical subjects are somewhat higher than those for other academic subjects. In certain technical, scientific and fine arts fields, there are extra expenses for equipment and supplies.

The University Bookstore has both new and used textbooks available. The bookstore will purchase used textbooks which are in good condition at any time during the year provided such textbooks continue to be used by the academic departments and if needed by the bookstore. “A student of this institution is not under any obligation to purchase a textbook from a university-affiliated bookstore. The same textbook may also be available from an independent retailer, including an online retailer.” (Texas Education Code, Section 51.9705; 19 TAC 4.215 et seq.)

Information about required and recommended course textbooks, including titles, authors, other publisher information and price, can be found at the UT Arlington Bookstore’s website, accessible via Further information about required course materials is available by reviewing individual course syllabuses at UT Arlington’s Instructor and Course Syllabus Information website.


The Registrar’s Office will mail an official copy of an academic transcript at the written request of a student upon receipt of payment of $10.00 for each copy requested. When working conditions permit, the office will provide one-day transcript service if requested. An official transcript will not be issued unless all financial obligations to the University have been satisfied.


Information about University housing may be found in the Student Housing section of this catalog. Information about campus food service may be found in the University Center section of this catalog.



Students who drop a course/s while remaining enrolled in the session are refunded in full for drops completed by the published session census date. However, because of the approved tuition rates, not every drop will result in a credit to your account.  The student is financially responsible for the full cost of the course/s dropped after the published session census date. (Texas Education Code, Section 54.006). Please refer to Refund of Registration Charges for additional information.


A student who officially withdraws from a session (drops all hours of a specific session) will receive a refund according to the schedule below.

  1. A student who withdraws prior to the first official university class day will receive a 100 percent refund.
  2. Students who withdraw as a result of military service may choose to receive a full refund of tuition and fees, an incomplete (if eligible) or final grade at institution discretion. (Texas Education Code, Section 54.006.)
  3. If the foregoing condition is not met, then the refund shall be as shown below. Class days noted are official university class days. They are not the individual student’s class meeting days.

FALL Regular, SPRING Regular, SUMMER 14 -Week AND Summer 11-WEEK SESSIONS

During class days 1 through 5—80%

During class days 6 through 10—70%

During class days 11 through 15—50%

During class days 16 through 20—25%

After 20th class day—no refund

FAll 1st 8-WEEK and 2nd 8-Week, Spring 1st 8-Week and 2nd 8-Week Sessions

During class days 1 through 3—80%

During class days 4 through 6—50%

After sixth class day—no refund

Fall 1st 5-Week, 2nd 5-week and 3rd 5-Week; Spring 1st 5-Week, 2nd 5-Week and 3rd 5-week; INTERSESSION; SUMMER I 5-WEEK AND SUMMER II 5-WEEK SESSIONS

On first class day—80%

On second class day—50%

After second class day—no refund

Applicable dates and deadlines are available at

4. Parking refunds must be applied for separately at the Parking Office, 1225 W. Mitchell.

Return of Title IV and Other Aid Funds

If a student receiving financial assistance withdraws (resigns) from all courses at the University of Texas at Arlington, then UT Arlington and/or the student may be required to return all or some of the federal, state, and/or institutional funds awarded to the student. These funds would be returned to the grant, scholarship, or loan fund from which the assistance was received.

The federal Return of Title IV Funds policy requires that a portion of federal aid be returned if the student withdraws on or before completing 60% of the semester for which student received federal aid. Students receiving all grades of F or a combination of all Fs and Ws are subject to the Return of Title IV Funds Calculation. Federal financial aid includes the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Academic Competitiveness Grant (ACG), Federal SMART Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), LEAP Grant (formerly SSIG), Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Stafford Loan (subsidized and unsubsidized), and the Federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS).

Depending on the types and amounts of aid received, UT Arlington may be required to return a certain portion of funds, and the student may be required to repay a portion of the funds. If the student owes a repayment of grant funds as a result of the calculation, he/she cannot receive future federal financial aid funds at any school until repayment has been made. Any federal loan amount owed by the student is to be repaid under the terms of the promissory note (see example below). The student may owe an outstanding balance to UT Arlington once we return funds required through the federal Return of Title IV Funds calculation. Complete details of the policy can be found at, click Financial Aid on the top menu under policies, then Return of Funds Policy. Contact the Office of Financial Aid for additional information.


For your convenience, direct deposit of your refund is available. Information about direct deposit is published at

Inquiries concerning refunds should be directed to Student Accounts, Room 130, University Administration Building, 817-272-2172, or by email at

Residency Regulations

Resident classifications are determined in accordance with Title 19, Part 1, Chapter 21, Subchapter B of the Texas Administrative Code and the rules of the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board for determining residence status. Except as specifically provided by law, an individual classified as a nonresident student must pay tuition, fees, and charges required of nonresident students. Students may access these rules at the Texas Administrative Code web site.

To be considered a Texas Resident a person must establish a domicile in Texas not later than one year before the census date of the academic term in which the person is enrolled in an institution of higher education, and maintain that domicile continuously for the year preceding the census date. Generally, a person enrolling in an institution of higher education prior to having established a domicile in Texas for 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the census date will be classified as a nonresident student.

Additionally, a person is eligible to be classified as a Texas Resident if the person: maintained a domicile in Texas for at least 36 months prior to graduation from a Texas high school or receipt of the equivalent to a Texas high school diploma, graduated from a Texas high school or received the equivalent of a Texas high school diploma, and maintained a residence in Texas for the 12 months preceding the census date at an institution of higher education. The domicile of a dependent’s parents is presumed to be the domicile of the dependent unless the dependent meets all the requirements of this paragraph.

If while attending an institution of higher education a person classified as a nonresident meets the requirements to domicile in Texas, the nonresident student may reclassify as a Texas Resident if business and personal facts or actions are unequivocally indicative of a fixed intention to domicile permanently in Texas. A nonresident classification is presumed to be correct as long as the residence of the individual in Texas is primarily for the purpose of attending an educational institution. Students wishing to reclassify will need to complete a set of the Core Residency Questions and turn them into the Undergraduate Admissions Office with supporting documentation.

Generally, a student attending The University of Texas at Arlington who is not classified as a Texas Resident will be charged nonresident tuition. Certain nonresident students, however, are entitled to pay tuition and other fees at the Texas Resident rate. For example, military personnel assigned to duty in Texas, and their spouses and dependent children, are entitled to pay the same tuition as a Texas resident if certain documentation is provided. Similarly, students who hold a competitive academic scholarship of $1,000 per year or more awarded through The University of Texas at Arlington are entitled to pay resident fees and charges. Other exceptions to the requirement that nonresident students pay nonresident tuition, fees, and charges are included in the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board rules for determining residence status.

The responsibility of registering under and maintaining the proper residence classification rests on the student. If there is any question concerning the student’s classification at the time of registration, or any time thereafter, it is the student’s obligation to consult with the Residency Determination Official in the undergraduate school and have the student’s classification officially determined. All requests for reclassification should be submitted to the undergraduate school at least 30 days prior to the census date of the term in question. Residency appeals are made to the Residency Appeals Committee. Decisions of the committee are final.