University Catalog

Student Responsibilities

Enrollment & Attendance

Managing Enrollment

Once a student registers for classes, the University commits resources to provide registered students with instruction by qualified faculty and sufficient class space for the course. Thus, upon registration, a student assumes full responsibility for either paying fees in full by a prescribed due date, or notifying the University in an appropriate time frame that he/she will not attend and take all appropriate action as prescribed to drop a course(s) or officially withdraw from the University. The student must verify his or her schedule of classes each term, must see that necessary corrections are made, and must keep documentation of all schedule changes and other transactions.

Class Attendance, Tardiness and Make-Up Work

The University is not required by an outside entity to take attendance; however, regular attendance at all class meetings is expected.  Individual class attendance and tardiness regulations will be established by instructors and published in the course syllabus or announced to their classes. At the discretion of the instructor, such regulations may not include provisions for making up work missed by the student as a consequence of an absence. Special regulations of colleges and schools required by the unique nature of their programs of study may be enacted through the normal approval process.  These special regulations may not conflict with University regulations on class attendance and absence.  An instructor is under no obligation to accommodate students who are absent or miss work without prior notification and make-up arrangements. 

A student’s registration is not automatically cancelled for non-attendance. A student should pay fees in full by the designated deadline or take the appropriate steps to withdraw. To avoid financial responsibility to the University, cancellation of enrollment must be completed no later than the day before the first official University class day. Prompt withdrawal notification helps to free up class space for other students.

University Authorized Absences

The Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs provides lists of students who have absences authorized by the University (e.g., participation in athletic events or scholastic activities that are officially sponsored University functions--those are primarily activities that are funded by the University).

The student must notify the instructor in writing at least one week in advance of the start of the excused absence and arrange with the instructor to make up missed work or missed examinations. Instructors will allow students an opportunity to make up the work and examinations within a reasonable time period following the absence or otherwise adjust the grading to ensure that the student is not penalized for the absence, provided that the student has properly notified the instructor.  Students who have properly notified the instructor, will not be penalized for the absence. However, the instructor may respond appropriately if the student fails to complete the assignment or examination satisfactorily within the time limit following the absence set by prior arrangement.

If there is disagreement between student and faculty member regarding what constitutes a reasonable amount of time to complete any missed assignments or examinations, either the student or the instructor may request a ruling from the Office of the Vice Provost for Academic Analytics and Operations. The decision of the Vice Provost is final.

Absence for Military Service

In accordance with section 51.9111 of Texas Education Code, a student is excused for attending classes or engaging in other required activities, including examinations, if he or she is called to active military service of reasonably brief duration. The student will be allowed a reasonable amount of time after the absence to complete assignments and take examinations.

Withdrawal as a Result of Military Service

A student who must withdraw from the University as a result of military service will receive the following considerations according to Section 54.006 of the Texas Education Code: (1) receive a refund of tuition and fees (2) if eligible, be assigned a grade of incomplete (I) or (3) as determined by the instructor, receive a final grade or credit in courses where the student has satisfactorily completed a substantial amount of coursework and has demonstrated sufficient mastery of the course material.

Observance of Religious Holy Days

A student who misses an examination, work assignment or other project because of an observance of a religious holy day will be given the opportunity to complete the work missed within a reasonable time after the absence.

Checking Email

E-mail serves as the primary means for communication at UT Arlington. Therefore, the University has the right to send communications to students via University-issued e-mail and the right to expect that those communications will be received and read in a timely fashion. The Office of Information Technology (OIT) will assign all students an official University e-mail address. Students are expected to check their official University e-mail account on a frequent and consistent basis to stay current with University communications. The University recommends checking e-mail daily; in recognition that certain communications may be time-critical.

Maintaining Current Contact Information

While most of University business and communications is handled through official University email or through MyMav, on occasion the University will need to contact students by phone or mail. The student must give current and correct local and permanent addresses and telephone numbers to the University through self-service in MyMav. Official correspondence may be mailed, versus e-mailed, to the appropriate address depending upon the nature of the correspondence and the academic calendar; if the student has moved and failed to correct this address, he or she will not be relieved of responsibility on the grounds that the correspondence was not delivered. 

For the purposes of state authorization compliance and disclosure requirements for licensing and certification programs, the University will consider the state listed in the Mailing Address in MyMav as students’ location. Students must report any change in their Mailing Address through self-service in MyMav.

Requirement to Update Academic Records

UT Arlington students who also enroll at other institutions of higher education have an obligation to ensure that UT Arlington has a complete and accurate academic record. Students who enroll in coursework at other institutions must transfer a record of that coursework to UT Arlington’s Office of the Registrar at the conclusion of each term completed externally.