Division of Student Success
At UT Arlington, we are committed to helping students succeed academically so that they can earn their bachelor's degrees. If you are committed to your education, we are here to help with a vast array of support resources and programs designed to aid students of all classifications.The Division of Student Success serves as the starting point to help you create the best experience possible at UT Arlington.
From your freshman year, the Division of Student Success will be an active partner in your academic success with advising, tutoring, supplemental instruction, and more. As you progress through your degree program, you will be able to return to Division of Student Success for help with difficult subjects, for advice on tackling new obstacles, and for guidance on careers that align with your academic goals.
While many freshman students come in with a major identified, all first-time freshmen will begin their academic journey at UT Arlington in the Division of Student Success. There, they will receive supportive and proactive advising as well as access to the academic support resources they will need as they transition into the college experience. These resources and services will remain available to all students even after they move into their academic major department for advising.
We also understand that, given life's complexities, twists, and turns, not all students will fit into the molds that the traditional disciplinary majors offer. Our Bachelor of Science in University Studies degree provides an option with a flexible approach that will open doors and help you achieve your career goals.
Think of the Division of Student Success as your one-stop center dedicated to student success. Together, we will help you set your sights high and lay the foundation for your future.
The Division of Student Success promotes student learning and development by providing coordinated and centralized academic resources and support services that help students define their educational goals and pursue a path toward graduation. In addition, the Division of Student Success serves as a focal point for campus programming that helps first-year students successfully transition to college life and meet the academic challenges set by faculty.
Division of Student Success Programs and Services
While the Division of Student Success focuses on assisting freshman students as they transition to college, our programs and services serve all students who seek academic support during their career at UT Arlington.
- McNair Scholars program provides research and mentoring opportunities to eligible undergraduate students to prepare them for graduate study.
- University Tutorial offers no-cost and low-cost tutoring options to help students achieve higher grades and a better understanding of course material.
- Supplemental Instruction is a series of peer-assisted weekly study sessions designed to help students succeed in traditionally difficult courses. SI sessions are regularly scheduled sessions in which students compare notes, discuss readings and course lectures, and work together to master the course material.
- University Studies is designed for students who have investigated different majors and now want to utilize the courses already taken to complete a bachelor’s degree in a timely manner.
- University Advising Center advises all incoming freshman students (up to 30 credit hours) as well as undeclared and conditionally admitted transfer students. Academic advisors also guide students in the majors exploration process.
- Learning Communities match students with others who share their academic interests and majors in a freshman seminar and common coursework under the mentorship of faculty and peer academic leaders (PALs). Students who live on campus may choose to join a residential Learning Community, which offers programming in the residence hall.
- Success U provides all freshman students a preview of what college is really like and an opportunity to get prepared for the challenges that lay ahead.